Thursday, November 18, 2010

Class went well today. Even though i had a raging headache through most of it, I was able to take advantage of the in class time and get a head start on my third shell drawing. This happened because we were supposed to be practicing ink wash on our hot pressed water color paper, and before we did that we had to start by drawing our shell. I decided to go full scale with my drawing because I was not going to cut up or make small scale practice drawings on a piece of paper that cost me $7.60.  As the class progressed my shell began to take shape, and it turned out pretty good. I spent so much time working on getting my large scale drawing nice, that i ran out of time, and couldn't spend any time working with the ink. This concerns me a little because I am not very confident in myself when it comes to my skills in ink wash or water color for that matter. I have tried it in the past on a small scale however the results were less than satisfactory. Although it is important for me to note, that I did take time out of my drawing fever to pay attention to the things that Amy was telling some of the other students mostly with regards to how to improve their ink wash abilities. I am committing to memory the advice she gave so not to fall on my face during this experiment. (I hope the quality of my paper helps) She said: make sure your brush strokes follow the lines that you draw, let the darkness of your lines reflect how dark you want your ink to be as to not get lost, start very light and work your way to dark, determine a light source.

2 comments:

  1. Smart! I should have gone bigger scale on mine since I really liked how my shell came out with the India ink on top. I assure you it's not as intimidating as you think it is! I'm really loving working with the ink, besides the whole messy part of it. Good luck with the washes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel like I should have just gone full scale with my shell, however, I too have NO experience with ink and painting. I'm still a bit scared of it but it was a lot of fun. If you haven't had time to practice just make sure you have a scrap piece of paper next to you drawing when you start painting- that way you can see how much or how little ink you have. I will need to do that. I am also pretty ticked that I spent $7 on that paper and only used half of it, I guess the other half will be practice paper!
    Good luck inking!!

    ReplyDelete