Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Class was Canceled

Class was canceled today, which is kind of frustrating for me.

Last week I went to Penco to pick up some of the materials that I would need for the ink wash day. This went well and the Penco staff were very helpful, however, they were all out of 90lb. hot pressed water color paper. This is a problem because the next step up in quality of paper was available, however, it was about $4.00 more expensive. I waited all weekend in hopes that they would receive a new shipment of cheaper paper, alas, they did not and I was forced to purchase the expensive paper. The problem is, if I had known earlier that class was going to be canceled, I could have waited until the cheaper paper was in stock. I just spent an hours worth of work on one piece of paper that I'm not even going to use today.

Looking forward, I am very excited to try the ink wash. I have always been mystified by the images and dreamlike quality some talented artists are able to produce. I have always had trouble handling ink, and watercolor. With some instruction I hope to discover the techniques and possibilities that ink has to offer.

I did purchase the sepia toned ink because I hold hope that during the application process the colors of the ink will separate, and I will be able to access more than just one tone with the ink.

I am also anxious to use the bamboo brush that I bought. I can tell right away that it will be tricky to command such a tool, however, I have been practicing holding my drawing tool (primarily charcoal pencil) near the back end. This is how I expect to handle the bamboo brush.

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be nice to have more than one "art" store in the area just for the a fore mentioned reasons.. That being said I'm also looking forward to the ink wash part of the assignment with a bit of apprehension as some of my ink projects in the past have been less than stellar.

    ReplyDelete