Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sculpting Muscles.

Today I started putting clay muscles on my mannequin. At first I found it hard to read the books instructions, however, after my first few muscles I got into the swing of things. Also I found it odd that the book does not tell you to model each muscle in a specific order. Often it would show only one muscle without any others. This was a challenge because I would have to remove some muscles in order to put new ones on, or I had to squeeze muscles into places where the almost did not fit with the other muscles already in place. I wish that the skeleton and the clay were flexible so that I could really see what muscles were being used in each movement.

2 comments:

  1. This is good information to know, I have not started sculpting our assignment yet. Knowing that you had some trouble with the order the muscles went onto the mannekin, I will try to approach sculpting the muscles from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just go with the order that the professor assigns them, but I also have trouble deciphering the book. They should have more specific instructions, or an overview photo of progress thus far in the book for the maniken. We are even using a different maniken than pictured in the book.. which does not help. But I suppose I will get more into the swing of things, as you suggest, the more we do our maniken assignments. It is also helpful when the professor critiques the manikens. She is really just looking for something consistent, and close to the drawings she does on the board. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete